STATE AGENCY FOR METROLOGICAL AND TECHNICAL SURVEILLANCE (SAMTS) is the state surveillance authority.
SAMTS carries out the following activities:
- Market surveillance of products placed on the market and/or put into service within the scope Directives and regulations under the New Legislative Framework;
- Market surveillance of construction products; products related to the energy consumption as regards the eco design requirements; electrical and electronic equipment in relation to the restrictions of the use of certain dangerous substances and its waste;
- Technical inspection of high-risk equipment;
- Quality control of liquid fuels;
- Metrological supervision;
- Designation and supervision of conformity assessment bodies for products within the scope Directives and regulations under the New Legislative Framework;
- Supervision of dam walls and related facilities;
- Quality control of solid fuels for domestic heating.
The SAMTS activity is regulated by following 10 laws:
- Law on technical requirements for products (LTRP);
- Law on consumer protection (LCP);
- Law on environment protection (LEP);
- Law on protection against harmful influence of chemical substances and mixtures (LPHICSM);
- Law on measurements (LM);
- Law on automobile transport (LAT);
- Waste management act (WMA);
- Renewable energy sources law (RESL);
- Law on tourism (LT);
- Water Act.
Strategic objectives in carrying out SAMTS activities are:
- Competitive national economy;
- Increasing the security and safety of the transport sector;
- Improving the ambient air quality in the cities and villages, expanding the measures for protection of ambient air purity;
- Decreasing of the adverse effects of floods and increasing the level of security and safety of the society, economic activity and cultural heritage of the country;
- Effective management of the EU funds in order to ensure maximal positive effect.